Friday, May 17, 2013

Chevannes: The Middle of nowhere France

Seeing Felix off at Geneva, I was full of excitement. My heart was filled with anticipation for the 4 weeks I would spend.... Galloping on horseback through the french countryside, retiring to a grand villa with plentiful cheeses and a fine Bourgognian wine, recuperating after a busy Winter.

Yes.. Well. These thoughts were quickly interrupted when the nightmare that was 4th form Geography returned to haunt me. Turns out Geneva isn't in France - although everyone speaks French, it's in Switzerland (google it). This meant that the lovely people at SNCF Geneva wouldn't let me pick up my train ticket. After dumping my bags and taking a sweaty 2 hour jogging tour around the city, they did in fact allow me to board the train.

Needless to say I was a little tired arriving in Nevers. But waiting for me was an amazing couch surfing host Laura! She introduced me to some of her awesome friends and they showed me around the city and we had a super cute picnic by the Loire River. Also she has a horse - instant friendship.

Me, Laura and Noé. I Nevers want to leave ;)

Totally impressed by Laura's fire dancing! She didn't even burn me.

Arriving at the elevage, I felt like a tiny cat in the ocean #harrowkitty. There were 50+ horses, 7 chickens, two cats (not including me) and a dog. All the horse gear, the names for everything, the riding style and of course the language was different. The first few days were actually terrible. My dreams from paragraph one were nowhere to be found. I spent that time getting yelled at in french (while understanding nada), re-doing things I'd already 'done' and planning the least awkward escape route possible.

Luckily things improved. I've been here 4 weeks now and have ridden some amazing horses, met some great french country folk, cleaned many-a-stable, been road-tripping horse style and even assisted in the horse mating process.. Which is not done in the artificial insemination kind of way, oh no. I did think about taking pictures for you.. But they probably would have asked me to leave. But yes, it was impressive (and scary).








On the road! Winding through the farmlands of Bourgogne.










Pissenlits. It's so cute when the horses eat these 'cos the yellow rubs off on their noses!

Mmmm pissenlits

Dolby! The coolest dog ever.

Where's kitty!!

 So. hard. to take. a good. photo.

KITTY!!
 
 Bébé horse Fahryz :)

Breakfast time chez nous.


I have had such an amazing time here. Marie and Marcel have been fantastic; teaching me so much about horses, french and life in the country. I can't thank them enough! They didn't even get too offended when I said I loved to eat horse products. The words chèvre (goat) and cheval (horse) are a little to similar :s. I can now say that I am fluent in animal-level French and I'm ready for the next adventure to begin!!





Next time: Way less animal pictures (Félix limits the number) and Barcelona! Weeoooh

No comments:

Post a Comment